Online, teacher-friendly grading with community grade portal
The OnCourse Grade Book allows teachers to perform all of their grade-keeping tasks more quickly and efficiently than with the traditional, paper-based approach.Watch Full Product Demonstration Video
Each teacher receives a 100% web-based toolkit of class grade books and communication tools that are loaded with helpful, time-saving features. Each teacher can choose a point or weight-based grading scheme, and can continuously monitor and adjust the weights of their categories and assignments.
The Grade Book accepts teacher grades automatically, with no time-consuming save or update buttons, so the final grade is always calculated and displayed in real time. Teachers may enter numerical grades, exceptions, symbols, or pass/fail checkboxes, and observe the effect on the final grade. At any time, the teacher can publish an assignment on the public Grade Portal for students and guardians to review.
Students, guardians, and administrators can log into the secure Grade Portal at any time to review progress reports, report cards, and read comments or messages sent from the teaching staff. If the school would still like to use paper, the Grade Book also offers multiple styles of report card and progress report that can be run and printed for the entire school from a single OnCourse export.
Design & Features
The Grade Book comes with a wide variety of features and companion programs, such as:
- Grade quick-fill
- Standards-based grading support
- Color coding for late, missing, incomplete assignments
- Checkmark scoring for pass/fail
- Non-calculated assignment support and exceptions
- Student and assignment filtering
- Grade overrides and exceptions (medical, incomplete, etc)
- Extra credit
- Quick link to student grades in other classes
- Export to Excel
- Canned and narrative comments
- E-mailing and messaging to students/guardians
- Integrated state standards correlation tools
- Report cards and progress reports
- Attendance tools for daily- and period-based attendance
- Seating charts
- Administrative reporting tools for aggregating information like grade distribution, honor roll, etc.
Teachers have 24/7 access to all of their classes and grades, and can opt to publish or hide grades at any time. By leaving detailed information in the Grade Book like narrative comments, messages, and notations, teachers can keep parents and administrators in the loop about a student’s ongoing progress. The need to organize conferences or calls home is reduced by the availability of the Grade Portal.
Administrators gain a new level of transparency with administrative features like grade book reviewing and portal oversight. There are tasks that only the administrators can perform, like locking down marking periods, or sending school-wide messages into the Grade Portal. Administrators also have high-level reporting tools to help them to derive information about school grades and achievement.
Students & Guardians
The community of students and guardians will find the Grade Portal to be a daily destination, as they check grades and retrieve messages sent from teachers or administrators. By involving the community at all times, the pressure on teachers is relieved as parents stay informed in real-time. In addition to grades, students and guardians can also view their attendance records and see any notes about excused/unexcused days.
When we show teachers how this program works, you can see their eyes light up.
Impact on Education
The OnCourse Grade Book and Grade Portal facilitates many positive changes in school districts, by:
- Modernizing and standardizing the grade-keeping process.
- Saving enormous amounts of time and effort at report card time.
- Promoting transparency and parental involvement.
- Harnessing technology to make grade analysis more meaningful and accurate.
Testimonials & Case Studies
Duval County, Florida
OnCourse Grade Book used in 160 schools
“I would say parents all over the city have embraced it and speak very favorably of it.”
“Their product is intuitive to teachers, so it’s easy to use and follow. It doesn’t use a lot of technical language, so it's very user-friendly.”
— Terri Stahlman, Chief of Instructional Technology and Special Services
“The OnCourse organization has provided DCPS with unparalleled service. Any questions that have arisen...have been answered promptly and professionally regardless of the day of the week (including weekends)."
— Patrick Barr, Executive Director, Information Management DCPS
- Products Overview
- Lesson Planner
- Curriculum Builder
- Discipline Tracker
- Student Information System
- Student Stats
- Grade Book
- Special Education & IEP Suite
- Student Growth Objectives