How to find books and get recommendations on Amazon.com
Part 1: Create an Amazon.com user account
- go to www.amazon.com
- click on Start here at the very top of the page
- enter your email address in the box
- click “No, I am a new customer”
- click the big yellow button - “Sign In Using Our Secure Server”
- enter your name (your REAL first and last name – this way I can find your wish list to give you credit for this assignment)
- re-type your email address
- type a password (REMEMBER: choose a password that is easy to remember!)
- re-type your password in the second box
- click “Continue”
- STOP WHAT YOU ARE DOING AND RECORD YOUR EMAIL ADDRESS AND AMAZON.COM PASSWORD!! Go into Microsoft Word and create a document with this information. Save the document as “amazon login info” to your English folder on your P: drive so that you’ll always have access to it.
Part 2: Create an Amazon.com Wish List
- While you are logged in to Amazon.com, click on “Your Lists” at the top, right corner of the page
- click Wish List on the left side of the page (under “Create a new List”)
- Now you have a wish list. J
Part 3: Find good books
- Return to the Amazon home page (click on “amazon.com” in the top left corner)
- click on Books in the left-hand sidebar
- click on Teens at the bottom
- click on Literature & Fiction
- Explore different categories to find books that interest you; when you find one, move on to Part 4 of these instructions.
- Note: You may also use the search field at the top of the page to type in specific authors or titles that you already know.
Part 4: Add books to your Wish List
- Locate a book that interests you on Amazon.com (NOTE: if you already know of a book that you’d like to add to your wish list, type the title into the search field at the top of the page)
- Click on the item in order to view it
- Click on the grey, “Add to Wish List” button on the right side of the page
- The item should now appear on your wish list
- Use the search instructions provided above to add at least five books to your wish list. Remember: You may add a book you’ve already read and enjoyed.
Once you have several items on your Wish List, Amazon.com will begin to automatically recommend authors and books that may interest you. Just click on recommendations at the top of the page any time you are logged in.
Part 5: Create Your "Books to Read" List
1. Open Books to Read Chart.doc in Microsoft Word.
3. Complete all required fields for AT LEAST THREE BOOKS that you added to your amazon.com wish list today.
4. Print this list. It will go in your in-class folder and you will be adding to it throughout the year.
If you do NOT already have an email address:
- Go to www.gmail.com
- Click Create an Account - the big button in the bottom right corner
- Complete the form using your REAL NAME! When selecting a log-in name, try to use something professional that is a variation on your name; for instance, email@example.com. Choose a password & security question
- Click “I Accept” at the bottom
- Be sure to write down your new email address and password. Go into Microsoft Word and record this information into a document you save to your P: drive; this way you’ll always have it.