Welcome to 7th Grade Algebra
Throughout our journey this year, we will be working as a team. I wish you the best of luck as you begin the school year and will be here to support you as you strive to be the best you can be. Most importantly, have confidence in your own ability and enjoy yourself! Let’s work together to make this an exciting and rewarding year!
Be Prepared For Class Each Day
Please bring these items to class each day:
While students are expected to follow all policies in the student handbook, the following expectations deserve special mention:
- Be prepared for class each day and arrive on time.
- Be courteous and cooperative. Treat each other respectfully and refrain from negative comments and put-downs.
- One person speaks at a time.
- Listen carefully.
- Be an active learner.
* The purpose of homework is to practice; therefore, homework is graded based on effort and not accuracy. Homework is designed to provide you with an opportunity to explore your classroom learning in an independent manner in order to assess individual understanding. It is assigned at least 4 times per week and you should expect to spend about 30 minutes per assignment. Assignments will require you to either complete practice problems or read and take notes (RTN) on a particular textbook section.
* Each homework assignment will be worth 2 points. Full credit (2 pts) for an assignment will be earned if you:
- write the proper heading at the top of your paper.
- attempt every problem.
- use only a pencil and are neat.
- write the original problem out before starting.
- show work for each problem.
Partial credit (either 0 or 1 pt) for an assignment will be earned if you turn it in late, leave blank spaces, forget to show work, use pen, copy from someone else, and so forth.
* Places to go for help when you are stuck on a homework assignment include:
1. Class notes / Class examples
2. Textbook (try an odd-numbered problem and check the answer in the back)
3. Parent / Sibling / Math Buddy (from any team!)
4. Internet help sites
* Weekly agendas are distributed every Monday. The agenda provides you with a plan of upcoming assignments, quizzes, tests, extra help sessions, and possible projects. In addition, homework assignments will be posted on the website daily. Please try to keep up with the assignments even when you are absent from school.
When each graded assignment is returned, place it in the “Assessments” section of your binder. Your marking period grade will be based on tests, quizzes (including RTN quizzes), homework, projects, and extra credit problems.
Important reminder: Grades can be accessed online! Please make sure to check your overall grade every few weeks. Although new grades will not be posted daily, every effort will be made to post major assignments/assessments as quickly as possible. Homework updates will be posted about every 3-4 weeks.