Health-related fitness incorporates the five major components of fitness related to improved health:
1. Cardio-respiratory endurance is the ability of the blood vessels, heart, and lungs to take in, transport, and utilize oxygen. This is a critically important component of fitness because it impacts other components of fitness and decreases the risk of cardiovascular diseases.
2. Muscular strength is the maximum amount of force a muscle or muscle group can exert.
3. Muscular endurance is the length of time a muscle or muscle group can exert force prior to fatigue.
4. Flexibility refers to the range of motion in the joints.
5. Body composition shows the amount of fat versus lean mass (bone, muscle, connective tissue, and fluids). While some fat is essential for insulation and providing energy, too much fat can cause serious health problems.