Welcome to Kindergarten! I am thrilled to be your child’s teacher this year as he/she begins this wonderful life long journey of learning. This is an exciting time for all of us! I know we all want the school year to get off to the best start possible. I hope the following information will ensure that happens.
- Your child will need a backpack that is easy for her or him to carry. Please have it labeled with your child’s name and if he/she rides the bus, please attach the bus pass. Please avoid pull-behind wheeled backpacks.
- Have your child practice putting his/her things inside and zipping it up! This is a great way to foster self-help skills.
- I will provide a two-pocket folder for your child to use. This folder will contain important notes and messages not only on the first day, but also throughout the school year.
- Please check the folder every night with your child! This helps to promote responsibility and ownership.
- A notice will be in your child’s folder the first day with the schedule to keep at home.
- On P.E. days, the children MUST wear sneakers in order to participate!
Small Blanket or Towel
- Each day we will have Quiet Time. Your child will have the opportunity to rest, nap, listen to quiet music, and look at a book (once routines are established). The blanket or towel will go home at the end of each week to be washed and returned on Monday.
- Please make sure the blanket or towel is small enough so your child can easily fit it into their backpack!
- Please send in a healthy snack each day and make sure it is something that your child likes! We DO NOT trade or share snacks due to food allergies. Please do not send in candy.
- Please make sure that your child can easily open his/her snack independently.
- It is a good idea to pack your child’s snack separately from his/her lunch so no confusion occurs!
- Snack takes place in the morning and is followed by free play time in the classroom.
- Lunch and outdoor recess take place from 11:55-12:45. Lunch aides will be there to assist the children every day during recess and in the cafeteria.
- If your child is buying lunch, please make sure that he/she has money in an envelope or Ziploc bag with his/her name and K- Brouillard written on it. Your child will receive a lunch number in September and you can also pay by the month so that your child does not have to bring money in on a daily basis. A monthly lunch menu will be online at the beginning of each month.
- When your child is buying lunch, please make sure that he /she knows what lunch selection he/she will be choosing.
- For the first few days of school, kindergarten students will meet in the cafeteria. Teachers and support staff are assigned Kindergarten Duty to assist the children in getting to the cafeteria. I will be there waiting for everyone!
- As much as you want to, please do not attempt to take your child to the cafeteria yourself. We want to establish a sense of independence as soon as possible. There is also no additional parking at LCS!
- Remember to be encouraging and positive in order to set the tone for your child. From my own experiences with sending my daughters to school, I have found waiting until I was back in the parking lot to cry to be quite effective!
- For the first two weeks of school, kindergarten students are assigned fifth grade buddies. At the end of the day, our buddies come to our room and escort the students to their bus, car line, etc. If a kindergartner has an older sibling, he or she can come to our room a few minutes before dismissal to pick up his/her kindergarten brother or sister. Please assign only one sibling in your family to take care of this task.
- At Open House, I will ask for all parents to indicate how their child should be dismissed. If you cannot attend, please just send in a note on the first day specifically stating how your child will be going home each day the first two weeks of school. Please indicate if they have an older sibling to assist at dismissal time. Also, please tell me if your child is a bus rider/bus number, walker, Canterbury walker, car rider to the gym (any child riding with another child in fourth grade or higher), car rider to the office (any child riding with another child in third grade or lower), or attend LCS After Care Program or Children’s Corner.
I will be communicating with you throughout the school year and please feel free to do the same with me. It is important for us to work together to ensure that your child has the most rewarding Kindergarten experience possible! Anytime you need to contact me, the best way is by e-mail at email@example.com. You can also send in a note with your child or leave me a voice mail message at (908) 204-2550 ext.307. I will do my very best to get back to you as quickly as I can. I will also be sending home a weekly newsletter on most Fridays. It will inform you of the exciting learning taking place in our classroom and include important dates and messages.
I am looking forward to working with you and your child this year!
Mrs. Lisa Brouillard